The last weeks there were several major events in the IT Industry that highlights why literally every company must have a decent Disaster Recovery (DR) Plan.
We are highlighting 3 reasons why a DR plan is important.
1) To protect your business for Physical Disasters
Last week a huge fire destroyed a major data center in Strasbourg. The data center belonged to a bigger and very well respected Cloud Provider, showing it unfortunately can happen to the best of us.
When your backups are located on the same physical site, you will also lose your backups.
Without a proper DR plan, getting back in business after such a disaster can take several days, if not weeks. The sooner you are able to get back in business, the lesser impact it will have on you and your customers.
That is why it is utmost important to replicate your backups/data off site as fast as possible and preferably in an automated manner with little to none human interaction.
2) To protect your business from cyberattacks
Last week a huge vulnerability was discovered in MS Exchange.
- Until today, almost 1200 Belgian companies & organizations still haven't patched their exchange environment.
- The center for cybersecurity CCB has warned for a possible tsunami of cyberattacks.
- Cyber criminals are now using compromised Microsoft Exchange servers as a foothold to deploy a new ransomware family called DearCry, Microsoft has warned.
Hackers are getting more intelligent and will target your backup environment first, before they try to destroy/delete your data.
That is why it is really important that your backups are stored in a secured vault, where they can be kept in an immutable form.
3) To protect your business from insider attacks
34% or more cyber breaches are done with help from the inside. Insider attacks are to be categorized under
- Employee or contractor negligence
- Criminal and malicious insiders
- Credential theft
That is why it is so important that your backups are managed by a trusted Third Party who stores them in a secured vault.
You can read more about what Business Continuity and a Disaster Recovery plan, but we can also help you to build your DR plan. Don't hesitate to get in touch for more details.