End of December, right on time for the Christmas presents, Citrix released Citrix Virtual Apps & Desktops 1912 LTSR. If you still need to be convinced to upgrade, read my blogpost!
LTSR versus CR
Long Term Service Release (LTSR)
Most of you Citrix customers have opted to work with the Long Term Service Release (LTSR) update model of Citrix. This means that you stay within a certain release (previously 7.6 or 7.15 LTSR) to benifit from long term service support from Citrix without the need to upgrade. Although cumulative updates are regularly provided for these LTSR releases, they do not provide application improvements and new features.
Current Release (CR)
On the other hand you can choose to follow the Current Release (CR) update model, which provides a new version every 3 months. This model requires you to regularly upgrade to the latest version to benefit from Citrix support services.
It is logic to say that more than 90% of the Citrix customers are on the LTSR track.
Citrix 1912 LTSR new features
Every few years, a new LTSR version is provided which packs all the features from the previous Current Release versions.
And there are a ton of new features! To name a few:
- Advanced multi-monitor/DPI settings support
- Windows Server 2019 VDA and Delivery Controller Support
- Application launch limits per VDA
- File Transfer larger than 4GB with client drive mapping
- Copy and Paste between virtual session and endpoint
- Citrix optimization for Microsoft Teams
Please check the following link where you can check them all: https://www.citrix.com/content/dam/citrix/en_us/documents/data-sheet/citrix-virtual-apps-and-desktops-current-release.pdf
Why should I upgrade?
From these ton of amazing features that are now shipped with 1912 LTSR, I will select some which will show you why you should upgrade:
- Microsoft Teams is now fully supported and Microsoft Outlook now provides native search
- MCS write-back cache: Previously released on PVS and now also available if you are working on MCS
- Local Text Echo is back! (previously Speedscreen Latency Reduction)
- Adaptive Throughput for high latency WAN connections
- Director improvements: Citrix Director now enables you to go much further into analyzing the logon times
If you would like to upgrade, please be aware to have an active Citrix Select Services subscription. EASI is willing to help you with Citrix Licensing and your upgrade plans.